Travel season is here! You’re excited to get in a bikini, get some sun, and eat some yummy foods. But if you’re like most travelers, you tend to go crazy and come back with an extra few pounds, right? A change in weather, eating habits, and obviously, the food you eat can definitely take a toll on your body that you worked SO hard to get before your vacay. There ARE things you can do to help avoid gaining the extra weight without taking the enjoyment out of your trip. Please note that these are tips and tricks to help you avoid gaining extra weight while travelling – not necessarily lifelong dietary adjustments that can apply to everyone.
*Avoid bread – unless you’re in Paris having wine and cheese, you can skip the bread before your meal. Not only does it fill you up before your actual meal, it’s extra carbs that you definitely don’t need in your daily intake. Not to mention the most glutinous product out there, which is a story for another time.
*Eat a balanced plate – it’s especially important to keep in mind the ratio of your macronutrients (ie, proteins, carbs, and fats) for all meals to help with proper digestion and to help keep you fuller, longer. When you’re out sightseeing, the last thing you want is to get hungry the moment you step outside your hotel. Try to pick plates that are filled with healthy fats, proteins, and lots of greens.
*Protein for breakfast – on that same note, be sure to stock up on protein in the morning to help keep you full and make good decisions throughout the day. Eating a carb-heavy meal early in the day is not ideal for your blood sugar, energy levels, and controlling your appetite. I’m still on the “most important meal of the day” bandwagon.
*Take snacks with you – pack your favorite bar, a zip lock filled with nuts, and BYOB – bring your own…(nut) BUTTER! Almond, cashew, etc. These are all great to have handy when you’re on the go, burning calories, and then starving! We don’t make the best decisions when we are starving, so this will help avoid eating 3 scoops of ice cream every time your tummy yells for food :)
*Limit your intake of all the white stuff: bread (again), dairy, rice, sugar, and salt. It’s harder to control some of these foods than others (“chef, how much salt DO you put in the meat????”) but try your best!
*Drink water – yes, this is an obvious one, but we tend to forget to drink water when on vacation. It’s especially important the more you sweat, and it will help with sodium retention, which will make you feel less bloated and leaner.
*Get some sort of exercise in – depending on where you’re travelling, and what you have on your agenda, you can still make time to move (and not necessarily at the gym). If you’re travelling and sightseeing in Europe, you can get plenty of steps in throughout the day. If you’re laying out by a beach for 8 hours in Santorini (mmmm…jealous), then it might be worth packing your gym outfit to either do some yoga or burpees in your room.
*Indulge – yep! If you follow the tips above for 80% of your trip, you definitely must indulge in whatever you want for the remaining 20%. Ice cream, alcohol, whatever you choose! You’re on vacation, so it’s time for you to ENJOY!
Where is everyone going this summer? What other tricks have worked well for you while travelling? Tell me!